Thursday, April 20, 2006

take it from me, white people just don't understand

"So she said, "Katie, I feel so sad for you." And I said, "Thanks, mom." And then she said, "I feel sad for you because you are so stupid." And I said, "Thanks, mom. I know. I don't need your help."

There are some things the boyfriend just can't understand. One of those things is that my mother is not evil and when she says I am stupid, it's not because she is mean or actually thinks I am stupid. This is simply the Chinese way. My mother's intention was to make me feel so incredibly morose over the loss of my camera that I would perhaps flog myself and repent by solving a few high-level calculus problems. The end result was her teaching me a lesson as if I were 10. The boyfriend couldn't wrap his mind around it. "That's so mean," he said. "She didn't mean it in a mean way though," I said realizing later that it was akin to saying "He was drunk and I didn't have his dinner ready on time."

I recounted mummy's admonishment to An, also Chinese, who replied, "My mom would have said the same thing." I told her about the boyfriend's incredulity. We walk a tightrope between two cultures; exposed to the western ways of parenting with emotion then going home to a few crusted grains of rice adhered to the rim of a chipped bowl from the old country with a side of unwarranted and generalized criticism. We surmised that when white kids lose a camera their parents just buy them a new camera and console them by hugging and telling them how smart and great they are. And then they buy them a pony. So they have something to photograph.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me tell you this. i never photographed my pony. i had a professional do it. and besides, our parents gave us ponies because they knew we wouldn't eat them. ooooh, zing!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom wouldn't tell me I'm stupid but then she wouldn't buy me a new camera or a pony to photograph it. Well maybe she'd console me and fuss over me a little bit.

Maybe she left Hong Kong when she was young enough to be brought around to the western style of parenting, and it has stuck to her later years.

Then again your mom left pretty young too but maybe she "reimmersed" in the old culture when she moved south.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your stupid easter. i, too, went back to my homebase, surrounded by whiteys, and sure enough, i was not called any names by my coddling parental units, and they did buy me new clothes as a reward for bringing old ones with holes in them. and they let me watch whatever i wanted on tv.

maybe i should have lost my non-existent ipod on the way there. thanks for the insight. i'll be much more careless next time.

love and mayonnaise,
r.s. wonderbread, esq.

interesting sidenote: when i was out shopping with moms in the sprawling metropolis of oshkosh, i made a concerted effort to look for people of color. ethnic diversity of oshkosh, wisconsin...

three asian girls. and that's IT.

Monday, April 24, 2006 11:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have lost or fallen off the pony, and I'd then be accused of being clumsy and uncoordinated or careless and absent minded. They would go on to say that these things are a manifestation of a hurried life and impatient attitude. Then, I would have been compared to Jennifer Chu, who never loses anything, and bought her own pony with her babysitting and tutoring money which she saved up all in one summer. I hate Jennifer Chu.

Monday, April 24, 2006 3:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I forgot I bookmarked this site, then couldn't figure out why I bookmarked it... in any case, everything is An's fault.

An, why can't you be more like Jennifer Chu?

Friday, April 28, 2006 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I like Jennifer Chu.

Vera, your mom was always cooler than my mom.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home